Sunday 26 March 2017

My 1st 13.1 - Reading Half Marathon Review

I did it! I ran a half marathon, and guess what?
I loved it.

If you read my previous post you will have seen how anxious I was pre-race day.
I was apprehensive, lacking self belief, and kind of dreading it.
The event itself however was just incredible.

Luckily my biggest worry was getting there and once that part was ticked off I was able to relax & soak up the atmosphere pre-race.
(Note: this did mean I was at the race village over an hour earlier than I needed, but if that meant I could relax, what's the harm? Better safe than sorry.)

We parked in Reading centre at the Queens Road NCP car park (£6 for the entire day), arriving at around 7:15, and then walked the ~8mins to Reading Station where there was shuttles already waiting for us.

We jumped straight on the bus and we were dropped at the Madejski Stadium next to the race village in less than 20 mins.
As we were so early we decided to sit in the stadium and watch the runners of the Green Park challenge run in and then at around 9 we started walking over to the start line. I recommend going to the bathroom in the stadium before you head over as the queues for the loos near the start line were HUGE.

Note: the start line was ~ 25 min walk from the race village so I really wouldn't recommend coming in last minute as the race set of bang on time.

Sign posting was clear to the start line and I just followed the flow of people. The race was separated into colour pens depending on expected finish time. I headed for my allocated pen (green - sub 02:00:00) where I left my partner and beelined straight for the 1:55 pacer. Spectators can follow around the outside of the actual start line pens but are separated at this stage.

10 minutes or so before the race started there was a warm up which I could hear over the speakers but I was too far back to see anything. Even so me and some of the surrounding people tried to keep up and join in. The wheelchair race was set of at 10:00, the elite runners at 10:15 and the remaining pens let off in waves of relatively quick succession. I was in the 6th wave and set out at 10:28.

The first couple of miles near the race village was packed with spectators and it was great to have so many people there to get you off to a good start. My aim was to stay with the 1:55 pacer but after a little while I decided I wanted to just ran at my natural pace so ran ahead slightly and just tried to settle into the run.


The course was completely closed to traffic, taking you firstly through green park followed by an industrial park and then through some residential areas where there is a considerable climb between 2 and 4km. The race then takes you through a section of the Reading University Campus. From here you head into the centre of the city where the crowds explode & the energy increases 10 fold. You hit the heart of the city around half way around (6 or 7 miles) and this is a great boost mid race.
Coming out of the centre you hit your second incline - although smaller than the first, due to the position in the run around mile 8, this hill feels pretty substantial. From there on out though you're in for steady sailing home passing through some more residential areas before turning on to the final straight stretch back with a view of the Madejski Stadium at the end of the road.

Reading Half Route - You can see the Strava segment here.

Reading Half elevation profile

I have to be honest that that final stretch for me was one of the harder parts of the race - it lasts about 3k where you're just staring at the Stadium which gives you the 'so close but so far' kind of feeling.
Despite that it was perfectly flat which was good & meant you could power down that last stretch with your goal insight (if you've got any energy left at this stage).

The stadium finish was just incredible.


 I managed to pick up the pace coming in and I don't know whether it was the adrenaline, the crowd or maybe I just had enough energy left in me but I felt so strong! The sprint felt natural and was a truly amazing feeling running across that line with the cheering crowds knowing I'd ran a half marathon, enjoyed it, and wasn't in the slightest bit broken.

One thing I definitely have to say about this race is that the support & entertainment along the route was amazing and definitely kept my spirits high the entire way around.
For me the highlights were the live music groups including the drumming group in Reading centre in the underpass (which I clapped as I ran past which may have gained me a couple of strange glances from fellow runners & spectators), the incredibly loud tunes coming from the Reading Family Church group and the random shop owner handing out clementines around mile 7.

Thanks to the many shout outs of 'come on Gen!' especially to the woman at miles 6 with a 'looking really strong Gen!' and the woman at mile 9 while I was having a gel with the 'YES! YOU EAT THAT GEN!', you gave me a couple of extra boosts I really appreciated.
Also an extra thanks to the woman who was chatting to their friend on the second & last hill saying it was all downhill from there - I had NO idea of the race profile and felt a massive mental boost knowing that all I had to do is power up that last hill & the half was in the bag.

Fuelling wise I would definitely recommend taking your own gels or whatever your booster of choice is. There were ample water stops (3,5,6,9 & 12mi) with the addition of bottles of Lucozade at 5 & 9 miles and although I did take the Lucozade and appreciated them I just couldn't take much on due to the amount of liquid and not wanting to have to take a toilet break. If Lucozade/ energy drinks are your usual choice then this will be great for you but for me I felt like having the lucozade was bordering on too much liquid & not enough energy.

All in all Reading Half Marathon is an amazing race.
The support throughout was incredible, from the constant cheering, Jelly babies galore, people handing out extra water, a beer stop on the last hill (for those inclined) the organisation and the stadium finale everything was smooth from start to finish and an all round pleasure to be a part of.

I loved my first half coming in at a respectable 1:54:12 and placing 690/3596 women and 3927/9720 overall.
I will most definitely be back for more next year
& I can't wait for round 2! :)


I hope this review was helpful for someone and please come back for more :).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Always remember, that sometimes, freedom is only a run away.
#runyourmindfree

No comments:

Post a Comment