Friday 10 March 2017

How to get out there when your mind is saying 'no'

Considering I manage to persuade myself to lace up and run a minimum of 3 times a week you'd think I have no problem with motivation. That's almost true. But when it comes to that moment when I'm supposed to be getting up, ready and out that door, there is something more over powering holding me back. 

I love running, I know that. So why do I still struggle to get out? 

I think this is something that the non-runners don't always get. They see this image of us presented on social media where we're always pumped, enthusiastic, happy, and raring to go. They see the completed runs, the excitement at our next run, our happiness in all of the above, and sometimes, just the joy of talking about running. 

What they don't see is that at the end of the day we're still like everyone else, struggling to stay motivated and sometimes just wanting to stop and say no.

My biggest challenge of the week is not the shorter runs I do during the week, even though they too are sometimes a struggle, its the weekend long run.

It has taken up to two to three hours for me to just get changed and start getting myself ready for a long run. This isn't irregular either. The quickest I've probably ever got myself out the door is probably 30 minutes, and that was impressive for me.

When it comes to long runs I don't know what it is, but the self doubt and fear always sets in.

Why?? I mean I've never not completed the distance I set out to do. I've never felt like I was going to collapse because I have pushed myself too far. I've never been severely sick, passed out, or had to dive into a bush to relieve myself (crossed fingers that streak continues ;)..), and I've never truly hated any run I've set out on.

At the end of the day I think the reason I find getting out on that long run so difficult is just pure simple fear that I can't do it. I can, and sitting here now, I know that. But when it comes to that time when I need to tell myself I'm going to do this, I'm going to get ready, I'm going to step out the door. That fear is there and is always blocking the exit, until at some stage something clicks and I can break through that barrier.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So here is what works for me, and what might work for you when your mind is saying 'no'.

Ask yourself these three questions:
Q 1: Am I sad? 
A: Yes - Run; No - Run
Q 2: Am I Bored? 
A: Yes - Run; No - Run
Q 3: Am I injured? 
A: Yes - It's OK to take it easy, go for a walk ; No - Run

Plan your route.
If you're not excited about running your usual routes,
try planning a new one and make it interesting. Can you run through a park you haven't been to before? Can you run a road you've never been down? Can you find a trail? Can you run somewhere you're fond of? Anything that sounds appealing - give it a go.

Tip : So I don't get lost I use a free map app on my Garmin and plan the route online then follow the route when I'm out. I use the dynamicwatch app which puts route maps on your Garmin - you can get it through the Connect IQ store.


Rope in a Friend.
Sometimes it's easier to get out if you're meeting someone. The pressure of not wanting to tell someone else you don't want to go is sometimes just enough to get you to step out.

Get changed.
Sure that sounds simple but it doesn't always feel that way.
Wear your favourite stuff, your most comfortable stuff, or something new you've been wanting to try out.
Once I've got my gear on, normally I find it hard to find an excuse not to go.

Be easy on yourself.
Acknowledge that its OK if you can't do what you planned earlier in the week. Getting out there is getting out there, and that's awesome in itself. Sometimes I just tell myself to run around the block, see how you feel after 5 minutes, and if it's awful, go home. And hey, you still did that one loop of the block. You didn't have to.

Ask yourself what's the worst that can happen?
The worst that happens is you stop and you turn back.
On the other side you could come back feeling a million dollars and a league away from all those worries and anxieties.. 
and it won't have cost you a penny :)!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps some of you get out there on difficult days, and if you didn't get out today, don't worry, because tomorrow is a new day.

If you have some go-to things you do to get motivated and out that door leave a comment below - I would love to hear from you.

Always remember, that sometimes, freedom is only a run away. 
#runyourmindfree.






No comments:

Post a Comment